Thursday 30 August 2012

A Day of Art In Glasgow

I had never been to Glasgow before last Saturday (25 Aug).  Whilst researching the art galleries of the UK I found that there is quite a lot to see in the Scottish city.  So, I booked myself a train ticket and off I went for the day.

My first gallery was the Burrell Collection situated within Pollok Park.  This is not a large gallery, nor is it large on paintings but oh my, what they do have are fantastic.

A friend of mine is a huge fan of Degas and I have told her she must visit this collection, there are lots of Degas to admire.  Other artists such as Cezanne, Renoir and Sisley are displayed too.

The most impressive part about the painting section of the gallery (upstairs in the Mezzanine) was that each room was small with large comfy leather sofas in the middle of the room so you could sit down and view the paintings from a reasonable distance but not lose focus on the painting itself. 

The Ground Floor contained works of pottery, textiles and armour and was also worth a look.  There is a nice cafe where I stopped for a bowl of homemade soup and a lovely fresh salad.  the prices were very reasonable too, £7.75 including free water.

Here is the official website

My second galley was the Kelvingrove and again I was very impressed with what I found there.

This is one of the major museums in the city and whilst it was busy on a Saturday afternoon there was plenty of room for everyone to take their time over the items on display.

Again the paintings on display were just what I wanted, Monet, Sisley, Renoir etc were all here.  I also found myself a new artist who has a painting displayed.  Rachel Ruysch, a Dutch painter from the 17-18th Century.  Her painting is called Flowers in a Terracotta Vase (last picture on this page).  It was such a beautiful painting, even surrounded by Monet & other famous artists.  I took a photo and have printed it on to photo quality paper and framed it.

I also found a few Scottish artists who I knew nothing about, but, that was another point of my visit, learn something new, discover new people and their art.

I took lots of photos and I have uploaded the best to my Flickr account for you all to view.

Next stop is Birmingham on Saturday 8 September.


No comments:

Post a Comment