Sunday, 16 September 2012

The National Gallery - London

Firstly, I was very disappointed to discover that photos are not allowed in the Gallery.  I am sure you were, in the past, able to take photos.  I can understand no flash and with the older, more delicate paintings due to the damage that can be caused.  But that is the rule so all I could do was make a note of the paintings I enjoyed.

I always seem to get lost when walking around a gallery, especially if there is more than one connecting room.  To combat this I decided to follow the floorplan in numerical order, even if they did mean doubling back a few times.

Due to time, I actually did not manage to see the entire gallery, I completely missed the 12th-15th Century paintings housed in the Sainsbury Wing.  My excuse is having to take time out to enjoy Afternoon Tea with my friends.  I also purchased the Audio Guide and this covers over 90% of the paintings held in the gallery.  You are given a very good, in depth analysis of each painting so this adds time to your visit, but it is so worth it.

So what did I see and what did I enjoy?  I think the easiest way to do this is to post the title of the painting along with a photo I have from the Official Website.

Raphael - The Madonna of the Pinks


Salomon van Ruysdael - River Scene


Salomon van Ruysdael - A View of Rhenen Seen From the West


Esaias van de Velde - A Winter Landscape


Aelbert Cuyp - A River Scene with Distant Windmills


Aelbert Cuyp - Ubbergen Castle


Cornelis Vroom - A Landscape With A River By A Wood


Ambrosius Bosschaert the Elder - Flowers In A Glass Vase


Ambrosius Bosschaert the Elder - A Still Life of Flowers In A Wan-Li Vase


Roelandt Savery - Flowers In A Glass


Sebastien Bourdon - The Return Of The Ark


Claude - Landscape With Goatherd And Goats


Gaspard Dughet - Imaginary Landscape With Buildings In Tivoli


Meindeet Hobbema - The Avenue Of Middelharnis


Meindert Hobbema - The Watermills At Singraven Near Denekamp


Jan van Huysum - Hollyhocks And Other Flowers In A Vase


Rachel Ruysch - Flowers In A Vase


Jacob van Ruisdael - Two Watermills And An Open Sluice At Singraven


Harmen Steenwyck - Still Life: An Allegory Of The Vanities Of Human Life


Hendrick Avercamp - A Scene On The Ice Near A Town


Hendrick Avercamp - A Winter Scene With Skaters Near A Castle


Peter Paul Rubens - A Landscape With A Shepherd With His Flock


Salvator Rosa - Landscape With Mercury And The Dishonest Woodman


Thomas Gainsborough - The Watering Place


Thomas Gainsborough - Cornard Wood Near Sudbury, Suffolk


John Constable - The Cornfield


John Constable - Cenotaph To the Memory Of Sir Joshua Reynolds


John Constable - The Hay Wain


John Constable - Salisbury Cathedral From The Meadows


Domenichino - Saint George Killing The Dragon


Francesco Guardi - View Of Venetian Lagoon With The Tower Of Malghera


Alfred Sisley - The Seine At Port-Marly


Vincent van Gogh - van Gogh Chair


Vincent van Gogh - Long Grass With Butterflies


Vincent van Gogh - Sunflowers


Vincent van Gogh - Farm Near Auvers


Camille Pissarro - The Little Country Maid


Camille Pissarro - The Boulevard Montmartre At Night


Camille Pissarro - Fox Hill, Upper Norwood


Camille Pissarro - View From Louveciennes


Pierre-Auguste Renoir - The Skiff


Pierre-Auguste Renoir - The Umbrellas


Claude-Oscar Monet - Bathers At La Grenouillere


Claude-Oscar Monet - La Pointe De La Heve Sainte Adresse


Claude-Oscar Monet - The Beach At Trouville


Claude-Oscar Monet - The Gare St-Lazare


And I have saved the best for last

Claude-Oscar Monet - The Water-Lily Pond


All photos can be found on the Official Website for The National Gallery here

I purchased 3 prints from the Gift Shop, Constable - The Hay Wain, Renoir - The Skiff and Pissarro - The Boulevard Montmartre at Night.  Each cost £5.  I also bought the Pocket Collection book for £6.99.

As I mentioned at the start, I did not have chance to see everything and when I go back to London in December for my Opera House visit I am going to return to The National Gallery and view the entire collection.

1 comment:

  1. I pondered to myself recently what were the most important things in my life. The answer seems to be clear that art was up there in importance. Why? Frankly, I don't really know. May be someone here can enlighten me?
    As was my wont w
    hen I have some free time, I browsed the marvelous site, wahooart.com, where they keep thousands of digital images for customers to select to have printed into handsome canvas prints for their homes.
    This image jumped out to jolt my reveries: Still life with bread, by the Cubist Georges Braque. Is art like this picture, as essential as bread and water, or should I say bread and wine?

    ReplyDelete